Youth Voices

Shab-e-Braat Special
the Voice of Youth

By Ali Suleman
COMSATS Institute of Information Technology
Islamabad

Image source: http://www.valtext.com/

Just before the French Revolution, an elderly woman used to roam about in the streets of Paris. In her hands, there used to be two bowls, one brimming with water and the other sparking with fire. She used to say that she wished to burn Heaven with that fire, so that noone does a deed of virtue for the mere greed of paradise. And she wished to extinguish Hell from that water, so that noone shuns a sin just for the fear of being burnt in hellfire.

This noteworthy lady was reminded to me last night (the alleged shab-e-braat), when my cell-phone got flooded with an avalanche of text messages from my contacts, all requesting me to forgive them for whatever they have done wrong to me, or God will destine their next year as unlucky! In other words, ‘Okay, okay, I’m sorry for everything; don’t punish me now!’. A mere thought of such a preposterous fancy crossing through one’s mind should be enough, I suppose, to convince him to consult a psychiatrist; saying it loud and clear in front of someone you wish to seek pardon from is another thing altogether. What you actually mean is that all you want from me is a signature on your “sorry application”, so that you go and show it to God, and gain His blessings. Where is the introspection? Where is the repentance? Where is the guilt? The concept of selfless virtue is almost extinct among us now. The actual meanings of the word “sorry” are being faded, just as its use escalates with every eye-blink. “Sorry” has become a custom, an accepted tradition, instead of an apology. If we elaborate the sentence “I am sorry”, it would rather become: “I regret what I did to you on that particular moment. I feel I shouldn’t have done that. And I assure you it won’t happen in the future. Now, would you please forgive me?”

After circulating these texts to everyone they could think of, from the 2nd grade mathematics teacher, to the neighbourhood’s last gardener, presuming themselves to be sin-free angels, these people expect God to take this signatures for granted, and turn them fortunate for the year to come!

How interesting it is! Whole year, you torment others, you foster hatred, you con, you lie, you backbite, you slander, and at the shab-e-braat, when you come to know that you are about to be trailed in the court of God, and are about to be held responsible for your deeds, and your accountability is imminent, you quickly start rotating text messages, seeking a “forgiveness certificate”! WOW! What a subtle and neat expression of obstinate selfishness! The next year long, you will do the same. You’ll torment others, you’ll foster hatred, you’ll con, you’ll lie, you’ll backbite, you’ll slander, and then at the next shab-e-braat­, you’ll again rely on your text-message-forgiveness-certificate! Who do you think you are trying to hoodwink? God? Huh! Forget about that, my dear! Come to me and excuse when you really feel guilty of your actions. But if what you want is a ‘lucky year’ only, then I am never going to forgive you that way! I am sorry, but you are NOT sorry!

© 2010 – 2012, the Voice of Youth. All rights reserved. On republishing this post you must provide link to original post.

Ali

A telecommunications engineer who, through his writings, wishes to modulate social freedom, synchronize politics with true democracy, filter out emotionalism from rationality, and broadcast peace all over the world. Serving as Head Publications of tVoY since its inception. Can be contacted at ali.suleman@thevoiceofyouth.com

This Post Has 21 Comments

1. Zaaid says:

lol .. but they send it with good intentions ..

har ek ki apni apni smjh hoti hai :D

anyways i am happy may nay nahi kara tumhay msg .. So yeah :P

2. Raiha says:

outclass…..love it simply……….

3. Sunburst says:

4. M. M. says:

QUITE THOUGHT-PROVOKING.
    A good read. Indeed one of my favourites here at Our Community :)
    And surely it was a mess last night receiving all those never-ending "Forgive Me" text messages :P

5. FaSeeH AhMeD says:

very good yaaar!!
    meray dil ki baat kah di aap nay iss article ma….. :)

6. Taimur Ahmad says:

But I received this msg from one of my friend
    "If u think that I have done something wrong to you, than

it must have been your fault. I am not sorry for that. Huh!"
    lolz….

7. mughees says:

man u are awsome :) thats just wat i wanetd to say

8. well written but lyk zaaid said har kisi ki apni smj hoti hai.
    n yes 1 can easily identify those who actually feel sorry
    anyways God knws wat lies in the heart

9. Faiza Hameed says:

Nice:)
    Having your inbox inundated with 'plz 4gve me if i evr "hurtd" u'messages(you'd think if they're so hell-bent on being forgiven, they'd atleast put in the time and effort to spell correctly;))is THE most awful thing.
    Oh and the woman you've mentioned at the start, isn't Hazrat Rabia Basri famous for a similar incident?

10. Seemal says:

can't agree with you more.
    love the story mentioned in first para.
    GOOD WORK.

11. ''…She used to say that she wished to burn Heaven with that fire, so that noone does a deed of virtue for the mere greed of paradise. And she wished to extinguish Hell from that water, so that noone shuns a sin just for the fear of being burnt in hellfire.''
    I'm going to memorize this bit! =P The article was awesome.

12. Ali Suleman says:

@Zaaid
    Tum ne to arsay se siray se koi msg kia hi nahi, so tum to rehnay hi do :p
    And yeah @ har kisi ki apni samajh. Either people are too stupid that they can't realize such a simple thing, or they are too selfish that they just don't want to. :)

@Faiza
    Thanks :)
    Yes, the philosophy is the same. But Hazrat Rabia didn't own any such bowls, or did she? :s

@Tayaba
    But why are you memorizing it? o.o Are we going to have a Pakistani version of the lady? :P

13. Ali Suleman says:

Thank you Arsh, if what you meant was "awesome" :P :)

14. Hinah says:

nice:)

15. Samreen says:

Worth reading.

16. Sharjeel Ahmad says:

that was awesome…same condition is mine since last nite..
    “Now tell me mister text sender. Do you really regret all those times you hurt me? And do you really feel you shouldn’t have done that? And to you assure me that it won’t happen again? Well, no. You don’t even know what you are being sorry for! And still you surmise that I will forgive you! For what, by the way?”
    loved that

17. Ali Ali Suleman says:

Thanks all.

18. Aala! I got tired of them too. We needed a write up like this. Well done Ali !

19. Fahaad says:

finally an article jis pe I agree with you :) Very nice !! and thought provoking ever :)
    p.s delete them after reading the first line :p

20. Maleeha Naziri says: